After checking my name on the list, I started
to do voluntary work. The first one that I had to do was arranging books that
were turned in. It is quite an easy work; what I have to do is identifying
serial numbers of the books, and replacing them on the shelf based on the
numbers. Although it seems to be far from difficulty, it requires substantial responsibility, because even one single mistake would make a book
lost for a huge amount of time within thousands of books in the library.
Therefore, it took about a half an hour for me to finish replacing all the
books, meticulously arranging every single serial number in an alphabetical
order.
My next duty was to aligning books on the shelves,
so that they could be seen neatly. Since I had to push in those stuck out, it
was inevitable for me to see titles of the books. While I was at sociology
section, in which most of books of my taste are placed in, titles suddenly made
me recall the interview that I had in March, in order to get in to the
department of library management.
The first question that I received was, “Why
do you wish to get in to this department?” My answer was simple. At that moment, I was reflecting on my lack of reading and feeling a strong necessity of it, so I responded, “I would really like to get lots of opportunities to access books through the voluntary work at the library." Hopefully, I was accepted as the member, and I made up my mind to start reading periodically.
Since that period, one semester has passed, and during this amount of time gap, the number of books that I borrowed from the library was ZERO. I was significantly shocked by this unpleasant fact, and felt sense of crisis to myself. I thought, 'How come I did not borrow even ONE book in four months of time, even though I decided myself to read more?' Out of my intention, rather than unconsciously 'seeing' titles of the books for the voluntary work, I was 'looking' at titles to choose a book to borrow and read.
Of course, it would be hard for me to brace myself up and start reading books in this period that the first semester has almost ended. However, like a quote, 'Well begun is half done.', as I firmly decided myself again and started reading the book that I borrowed today, it seems that prospect is quite bright, and I feel like I would be able to recover the aim that I lost in March.
