Throughout history of human beings, there were basically two huge rapid changes that tremendously affected every single part of us: the agricultural revolution and the industrial revolution. Thanks to those significant shifts, humans were able to achieve highly developed society in which much more convenient lives and better life quality are provided. In this period that more than a century has passed since the last revolution, a number of scientists and futurologists are predicting that there would be another enormous transition soon, brought up by the revolution of manufacturing.
3D printer, invented by a company called 3D systems in 1980, is a device of which principle is really similar to that of printers that we use to print texts, but fabricates three dimensional items based on digitally made up designs. Among many advantages, one of the most attractive characteristics of 3D printers is absence of surplus raw materials. As a matter of fact, since 3D printers manufacture products by meticulously stacking up materials one by one, they do not require more than they actually need. For instance, Airbus, a celebrated airplane company, was able to reduce 3000kg of annual waste of materials by using 3D printers. This is truly substantial change, because it took only 10% of titanium to make pieces compared to the original production method. Like this case, when 3D printers are disseminated to the public, production would dramatically increase and prices of products would fall, as firms would be able to save huge amount of money and materials wasted during the manufacturing process.
In addition, introduction of 3D printers would
cause overall alteration of the industrial structure. In the past, an
intermediate system called distribution process between producers and customers
connected them each other and controlled the flow of products. However, this
pattern would be totally changed in the close future. When 3D printers prosper,
what customers only have to do is getting digital data from designers by using highly
advanced telecommunication system and printing items at home, which no longer
needs distribution service at all. Not only achieving minimum time to market,
but usage of 3D printers would also allow rapid sharing of data between people,
which would lead to much more extensive spread of technology and facilities.
Ultimately, speed of innovation would become much faster than before. Moreover,
3D printers would incur a collapse of the current manufacturing industry. According
to Raymond Kurzweil, a famous futurologist, 3D printers would be mainly based
on products on demand, which means that consumers would freely revise and
develop designs of items to meet their preferences. As a result, companies
would not have to deal with inventory problem, and services related to it would
lose their necessities. Eventually, era of ‘me manufacturing’ will rise.
It seems apparent that the advent of 3D printers would occur another massive change that will definitely improve and develop human civilization. When it comes to this moment that 3D printers have outstanding advantages such as frugality or innovation, some people may wonder about the prospect of the original manufacturing system that facilitated human beings for centuries. Books are still popular these days and widely found by people in spite of development of digital devices. In similar sense, the original industrial structure would not wholly disappear, and it would modify and adjust to new industrial era predominated by 3D printers. 21st century would be the period in which past, present, and even future will be converged and coexist.
Hello, kyungmin this is hosung.
First, I'd like to state that I was surprised by the idea of 3D printing. The information that you gave was quite shocking as I never knew that 3D printing could contribute to less use of resources. Also the concept of 'me manufacturing' was revolutionary. Currently most people choose goods that are already made. So it was a new fresh topic to introduce 3D printing.
But there was a question that constantly raised in my mind while reading your essay. Is 3D printing a revolution equal to the agricultural revolution and the industrial revolution? The revolutions that you've stated in the start of your essay brought a change so big that it altered the way humanity could develop. I was concerned by the comparison that you made in your essay. Could 3D printing be that influential? It is true that 3D printing is a new technology but how is it so unique with other technologies that it could alter the course of the world? If you could illustrate deeply on that point it would have been a better essay~
Overall I really enjoyed reading your essay~
Thank you for your reply!~ Well, about the question that you had, what I was trying to emphasize on this essay were huge alteration and significant shift of total structure of industry that we have nowadays, and the emergence of new system, so called 'me manufacturing'. This would ultimately cause magnificent changes in current economic system and way we get goods and services, so I explained it as new manufacturing revolution. Actually, I did not touch too much deeply in this, because it seemed too far away from the present and there are still lots of disputes among experts on this prediction. For more information:
http://biz.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/02/22/2013022201572.html?main_news
It's my pleasure to read your essay. There are lots of information that I've never heard about 3D printer. I think you're really talented in writing essay neatly. Even though I didn't read your essay before, I could easily comprehend your main idea. I agree to your opinion that 3D printer will cause great alternation in 21st century industry.
However, I think it would be better to insert few examples of 3D printer's shortages. I've read an article about 3D printer which was about the gun made of 3D printer perfectly worked. I guess you can elaborate your main idea more apparent if you use both merits and shortages.
Very nice. I believe that you have a good grammar and content. Good choice of topic but I think you should have more evidence if it is the 21st century. It can be in the further future. Overall very good